Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Take up Korean language course in Seoul

Annyeong! 여러분 안녕하세요!

I have decided to pen down my journey to the north, to a country where I have always wanted to go - South Korea. My first Korean drama was Autumn in my heart by Song Hye Kyo, Won Bin and Song Seung Hoon. The second K-drama that got me hooked on was Princess Hours ever since then I hold  onto a long term relationship with K-drama and their OST. haha 

Those dramas grow the interest in me to learn the Korean language more than just visiting the country as a mere tourist. I did not attend any formal course to learn the language but started everything by learning the hangeul online. To get myself familiarise with the pronunciation, I listen to the conversation in the dramas and eventually learn how to read some. 

A few years back in 2013 perhaps, I discovered that universities in Korea actually offer language course for international students. This discovery really excited me but I could not take any action till 4 years later which is now, the right timing. 

I have shared this dream with a few friends and family, am thankful that they give me their support in realising the dream. Not many would approve this as I am no longer 18 and it is absolutely possible to learn the language with a real Korean who resides here at my hometown. However, experience a different culture and step out of my comfort zone are what I really want. As I said, I am not that young anymore so it is either do it now or regret later! 

It shares the same philosophy with people who went for work and travel in other countries, not many understand them. Instead of working, I chose to go there as a foreign student to experience something which I never did. On and off there will be posts written by those who resigned and went for work and travel, share the stories and tell how glad that they went. I told myself to stop the envious and go for it but study and travel instead. 

*While typing this reminds me of my two months life in a PLKN camp. It was not an easy two months but reminiscing it years later and I am glad that I went.* 

I started planning everything exactly a year ago and everything falls into place just recently. Sending in application to the desired university and settling the accommodation in Seoul all by myself make me learned something new. I will share all these in separate posts later. 

Living in a country for few months when I barely understand their language can be challenging but I believe I could overcome it. I have no idea how to put my excitement and fear of this trip into words. I can't wait to explore the city bits by bits and of course, to experience life. This is a golden opportunity for me to weave my story for my future grandchildren. LOL 

Shall update more about my expedition in Seoul next time. Stay tuned! 


[This post is written on 9 Feb 2017 before I go to Seoul.] 



No comments: